Rural Utilities Service Household Water Well System Grant Program

USDA Rural Development administers rural utilities programs through the Rural Utilities Service. USDA Rural Development announces the availability of grants from the Household Water Well System (HWWS) Grant Program for fiscal year (FY) 2009, to be competitively awarded. This notice is being issued prior to passage of a final appropriations bill, which may or may not provide for funding this program, to allow applicants sufficient time to leverage financing and submit applications. USDA Rural Development will publish a subsequent notice identifying the amount received in the appropriations, if any. The HWWS Grant Program is authorized under Section 6010 of the Food Conservation and Energy Act of 2008 (The Act), Public Law 110-234. The CONACT authorizes USDA Rural Development to make grants to qualified private nonprofit organizations to establish lending programs for household water wells. The non-profit organizations will use the grants to make loans to individual homeowners to construct or upgrade a household water well system for an existing home. The organizations must contribute an amount equal to at least 10 percent of the grant request to capitalize the loan fund. Applications may be submitted in paper or electronic format. The HWWS Grant Program regulations are contained in 7 CFR part 1776.

DATES: The deadline for completed applications for a HWWS grant is May 31, 2009. Applications in either paper or electronic format must be postmarked or time-stamped electronically on or before the deadline. Late applications will be ineligible for grant consideration.

ADDRESSES: Submit electronic grant applications through http:// 
(, following the instructions on that Web site. Submit
completed paper applications to the
U.S. Department of Agriculture,
USDA Rural Development Utilities Programs,
Mail Stop #1570, Room 2233-
1400 Independence Ave., SW.,
Washington, DC 20250-1570.

Applications should be marked Attention:
Water and Environmental Programs.”
Application guides and materials
for the HWWS Grant Program may be obtained electronically through http://
Call (202) 720-9589 to request paper copies of application guides and
materials from the Water and Environmental Programs staff. FOR FURTHER
INFORMATION CONTACT: Cheryl Francis, Loan Specialist, U.S. Department
of Agriculture, Rural Development Programs, Water and Environmental
Programs, telephone: (202) 720-1937, fax: (202) 690-0649, email:

Comments are closed.